Monday, April 20, 2009

Pushing Daisies, RIP!

Hi! I'm Eric and I'm a PC. For now ...

Just a little update on what's been going on with the Erics.

1) Other Eric just got a new Mac so I'll be getting his old Mac and I'll finally be cool and beautiful and popular and smart.

2) Since Santa Clause hasn't responded to my repeated requests, I broke down and used part of my tax refund to buy the outrageously expensive Rosetta Stone program for French. I've taken French since third grade and I'm still pathetic. I can read a little but, as an art historian, I really need to be fluent in at least one foreign language. So I'm giving Rosetta Stone a try. My problem is I hate taking language classes because I'm so shy and insecure I can't relax enough around other people to actually learn anything. And language tapes are so boring I stop listening after a while (also, simple translating is a terrible way to learn a language). Rosetta Stone is like being in an immersion class but without the stress of the other people.

I'm still on level one, which is pretty easy, so I can't tell yet if the program will work. But I can report that it is fun to do, which means I'm actually doing it. That's a major improvement over classes and language tapes. I'm not entirely convinced that the voice-recognition software actually works (and I had to log in as an pre-adolescent boy in order for it to recognise my voice), but, other than that, I really like the program. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Or, as we say in French, "voulez vous couchez avec moi c'est soir?"

3) Eric and I got to see the final three episodes of the excellent show Pushing Daisies yesterday. The show's cancellation was a crime against humanity but it's done and I'll try to stop complaining. The program was part of the Paley Festival and it was held at the historic Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. The creator and some of the cast were there and they gave out "Jews for Cheeses" shirts and there was a raffle with memorabilia from the show:

Ellen Greene: "This arm sling actually touched Kristin Chenoweth's boob!"

Man, I was so close to winning that one!

The episodes will air next month and, in case you've forgotten, you will be reminded what a travesty it is that this wonderful show is gone. They do not disappoint. The beautiful sets and costumes, the hilarious dialogue, Kristin singing, it's all in there! And they were able to put together an ending to tie up most of the plots.

It was really fun to watch the shows with an audience. The show doesn't have a laugh track so it's such an interesting experience to watch it with hundreds of enthusiastic people. It was better than most movies we go to see.

Anyway, don't miss the final three episodes next month. If you didn't watch the series, first of all, shame on you; you're the reason it's off the air! I forgive you; just don't let it happen again (for instance, with Mad Men). Secondly, buy the DVDs.

9 comments:

Cliff O'Neill said...

Yep, still jealous!

eric3000 said...

Which part are you most jealous about?

That I'm getting a hand-me-down laptop, that I have the voice of an eleven-year-old boy, or that I came this close to winning something that touched Kristin Chenoweth?

Actually, I guess they're all pretty impressive!

Jojo said...

I loved PD - I would say I can't believe they cancelled it - but that seems to happen to many good shows - currently hooked on 'Lie to Me' so they will probably pull the plug on that soon! Please keep us updated about the Rosetta Stone - I also have my degree in Art History - two years of French and I would be unable to order a glass of water... the anxiety I used to get before French class - ahhh just hoping the professor wouldn't ask me a question!! Anyway good luck with your studies!!

eric3000 said...

Thanks, jojo. I'll try to keep up on my progress reports. I'm trying to spend a little time on it every day so I'm hopeful it will make a difference. Yeah, taking classes with other people is so stressful, I can't stand it.

I watched the first two episodes of Lie to Me and I like Monica Potter but I don't like the other leads so I stopped watching it. Sorry.

Eric said...

Eric now knows that the Lie to Me he was thinking of is actually Trust Me.

eric3000 said...

Ha ha! Turns out I have no idea what Lie to Me is. I guess I never saw previews because I never watch Fox.

Jojo said...

Yeah, I never really got into Trust Me either even though the previews looked good. Lie to Me is all about telling if people are lying by watching their facial manipulations (sounds boring but i really like Tim Roth). I'm really just trying to learn all the 'tells' so I can start busting on people when they lie, he he. I have a feeling I'm going to be driving the boyfriend nuts with my new skillz!!

Mari said...

Welcome to the wide world of Mac!

They are going to show the last episodes of pushing daisies next month. I can't wait to see them...

eric3000 said...

Thanks, Mari! I hope I like the Mac.

I'm looking forward to re-watching the final Pushing Daisies episodes next month. I'm sure we missed some of the dialogue in the theater because the audience was laughing so hard!