Thursday, August 05, 2010

Project Runway Season Eight, episode two: Infinity season!

Jason: "I'm making an 'infinity dress,' inspired by season eight of Project Runway. See, because each episode of season eight seems to go on forever."

Seriously. Anyway, the challenge this week is to make dresses for the wedding of Adam Shankman and Nigel Lythgoe:

Nigel: "I told you I'm not marrying Adam! I could never live with someone that inconsiderate. I worked all day on that shepherd's pie and he didn't even appreciate it. It was my mother's recipe and that really hurt my feelings. Plus, he totally hogs all the covers."

Well, it looks like the wedding is off, so we'll have to come up with another challenge. Fortunately, Joanna Coles, editor of Marie Claire magazine, is here to tell us the designers will be creating looks that define the Marie Claire woman. But who exactly is the Marie Claire woman?

Joanna Coles: "The Marie Claire woman is ambidextrous, hypoglycemic, semi-illiterate, and recently deceased."

Fantastic. Oh, and the winning design will get a billboard in Times Square!

Ivy: "Wow! Do you know how many millions of people go through Times Square every day?!"

Yes, I do, because I just looked it up. And as I suspected, millions of people don't go through Times Square every day. According to the Times Square Alliance, which promotes advertising in Times Square, the number is closer to 500,000.

Ivy: "Jeez! Don't get your panties in a bunch. I just meant lots of people go through Times Square."

After a trip to the real Mood, the designers start annoying each other in the work room:

Casanova: "AJ, should this pattern piece extend over the shoulder?"

AJ: "OH MY GOD! I'M NOT MAKING YOUR WHOLE OUTFIT FOR YOU!"

Yeah, so it seems at first that AJ was overreacting just a tiny bit. But Casanova does seem to require advice from the other designers on every little decision he makes. I can see how it would get on your nerves. Gretchen, however, loves the attention. Apparently, people with questionable taste find Casanova charming.

Tim makes his rounds:

Tim: "I know I'm going to regret asking this, Jason, but what the hell are you making?"

Jason: "Well, Tim, you know how straight men are from Mars and the fashion industry is from Venus?"

Tim: "Sure."

Jason: "I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm from outer space and that's why I don't understand how gravity works."

Tim: "It's all making sense now."

Gretchen thinks Nicholas stole her ideas for the outfit he's making. Only someone with her questionable taste would claim credit for that disaster:

Gretchen: "Will you please stop saying I have questionable taste?"

Sorry. I thought it was a nicer word than "pedestrian."

Tim comes in to announce this week's twist:

Tim: "Please hand your partially-finished garments to the designer on your left."

OK, he actually tells them they will be doing a photo shoot.

Back in the apartment, Mondo is lonely. He's not connecting with the other designers. I honestly feel for him. But, Mondo, there is a remedy. And it's right there in the kitchen. It's called alcohol. drink two glasses of wine and call me in the morning.

The next day, the designers are getting ready for the photo shoot and Tim gives his last words of advice:

Tim: "Please remember to use the . . . what the hell is the wall called now?"

The Piperlime Accessory Wall

Tim: "sigh . . . ok, use that. whatever."

Remember how everything on the runway was just mediocre last week? Well, that wasn't a problem this week. This week everything was outright tragic. Which, I guess, is refreshing.

OK, there were a few exceptions. The judges pick Valerie, Gretchen, and Mondo as the top three. I think that's a good selection.

Valerie's red dress was pretty great; it had a clean silhouette, but had really cool details that were part of the design, as opposed to being stuck onto it.

Mondo's cute little outfit with a tiered tweed skirt was perfectly proportioned and styled. It was very fun and young. He also had the best photo shoot and I think he should have won just for that.

Gretchen made a navy jumpsuit just to try to get my attention. Fine. I like it. Happy now? Honestly, I didn't think it was so flattering on the runway, but once I saw the billboard in Times Square, I could see why the judges picked this as the winner. You can really do some major dance moves in that garment. Most Marie Claire readers are acrobats, right?

Congratulations, Gretchen! I just hope this doesn't go to your head. (breaking news: it will)

While almost any of the other looks could have ended up on the bottom, the judges pick a pretty good bottom three: Jason, Nicholas, and Peach.

Peach is just completely lost. She seems to only know how to make one dress. I'm not hopeful she will last long. But she's made it through one more week.

Jason's dress is absolutely as awful as you would expect it to be. But is it awful enough to keep him in the competition? Thankfully, no.

Nicholas's outfit is a total mess. He made three busy pieces that clashed with each other. The cape made no sense for this challenge. But after Jason was eliminated, he probably felt a sense of relief and assumed he was safe. Which made it even worse when he was also eliminated. Poor guy. Looking on the bright side, have I mentioned Jason is gone?

Gee, I wonder why they would need to get rid of two designers right away. Could it be because they started out with one too many designers and last week was really the first episode of the show and not an "audition," as we were told?

Heidi: "Are you calling me a liar?"

18 comments:

TLo said...

Tim: "Please remember to use the . . . what the hell is the wall called now?"

LOL

Loved your recap, handsome.

lovemesomeuli said...

"Apparently, people with questionable taste find Casanova charming."

Hee hee. I love AJ even more now for ignoring Casanova. What is with that guy? Creepy.

And yippee for Jason being gone! Do the happy dance! I'm all for straight guys in fashion (Seth Aaron is a fine example), but Jason? Hell to the no. Douchebags are us! As a heterosexual I'd like to kick him out of the club and send him over to the other side. Any takers? (crickets chirping) No, I didn't think so.

I liked little Mondo last week and after what he turned out this week I like him even more. Ok, so he's strange, but I kinda dig it. Go Mondo!

lovemesomeuli said...

Oh, and I agree with TLo. you are handsome! : )

eric3000 said...

Wow, thanks, lovemesomeaj! And thank goodness AJ squeaked by this week. That garment was auf-worthy.

Yeah, Seth Aaron set the bar pretty high when it comes to straight guys in the fashion industry. That may be too high a standard by which to judge Jason. But boy was he cringe-inducing.

p.s. I misread the stats on Times Square. Embarrassing! I originally wrote fifty thousand, but it should be 500,000. But it definitely isn't millions. Ha ha!

Ellen said...

Loved the double elimination - let's get rid of the crap early so the real competition can begin.

I must admit that I liked Peach's dress, with the exception of the brown drapery tie back - what was up with that?

I totally agree with you - Mondo should have won. And my second choice was Valerie. Not impressed with the puffy hips on Gretchen's outfit.

eric3000 said...

Yeah, if it were based on the garment, Valerie should have won, and if it were based on the photo shoot, Mondo should have won. I agree that Gretchen's jumpsuit didn't look great on the runway, but it really looked good (presumably airbrushed) on the billboard.

kittens not kids said...

Jumpsuits are ugly. Jumpsuits with tapered legs and precious little ties that reveal inches of ankle and lower calf are a fashion flop of the first order.

a good model & photographer can make a great billboard with whatever materials are at hand. I loved Mondo's, and I loved Valerie's. GAG ME WITH A SPOON, JUMPSUIT.

Asshat leaves, after serious asshattery! au revoir, sucker. why he was ever let on the show in the first place, and not auf'd last week, will remain obscured by the mists of time and Producers' Decision.

this show feels very long and boring. i dunno. too many crappy competitors, not enough quality. BORING.

and i'll leap onto the bandwagon: eric3000, OF COURSE you're handsome! kinda hot, even.

Cliff O'Neill said...

Since I'm not doing a PR blog now (at least until TC if over) ...

I half expected him to say, "Please use the Limewire accessory wall thoughtfully. ... And without violating copyright law."

So glad I can do the dramatic readings again!

XOXO
Cliffie

Cliff O'Neill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eric3000 said...

Come on, Kittens, I know you have a secret stash of jumpsuits in your closet! Embrace the jumpsuit! You won't regret it!

And Cliff, I totally understand. I couldn't do two shows at once.

lovemesomeuli said...

I'm with kittens! No. Jumpsuits. Ever!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

They must still have a thing for jumpsuits--after all, they let Santino's nearly-sleeveless jumpsuit survive in Season 2 ;-)

Laura said...

I have a confession to make. I do have a few jumpsuits around.... for my two-year-old. Jumpsuits for toddlers = cute. Jumpsuits for adults = fail.

eric3000 said...

I know I've always been the sole defender of the jumpsuit. I even voted for Santino's jumpsuit as one of the top five looks from season two over on Blogging Project Runway! That's how serious my love of the jumpsuit is! Ha ha!

kittens not kids said...

eric3000, how many jumpsuits have you, personally, ever worn (since you left your toddler years, that is)?

Sewing Siren said...

I think men look better in jumpsuits than women do.

I don't know why anyone would ask for AJ's help, his skills are shaky at best.

Mondo had the best garment or Andy with the lantern sleeves. I hope he uses that again.

Also agreeing to Eric3000's cuteness. Especially the lounging picture. Too bad he's not wearing a jumpsuit.

satijaya said...

OMG! Eric, You were wearing butt shorts even at that tender age??!! Bridget here. She She ( Sheila) turned me on to your blog. We should have a reunion of the REDS. ( This is a reference to hair, not communism.)
Remember when...the 80's, LA, Gumby in Disguise.
Seriously, let's figure a way to connect. Who knew Project Runway could bring us all back together. What a do good show! Actually, I guess it makes sense seeing we all met beacuse of our love of beautiful clothes.
My comments on the show... Valerie should have won last week and I love Mondo, I really felt for him, he's talented and so cute.
And you do look handsome. Hope you're happy.. much love, bridget

eric3000 said...

Hey Bridget! Great to hear from you! Sheila said you weren't on facebook, but send me an email! ehormell@yahoo.com